Inclusive Caltech Core
The Inclusive Caltech Core Project, February 14, 2017
Caltech is one of twelve universities to be awarded a $20,000 mini-grant from the Association of American Universities as part of their efforts to improve undergraduate education in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines.
At Caltech, the grant will support a pilot, two-year effort to bring faculty and teaching assistants (TAs) from the courses with the most impact on first-year learning—those in the Core Curriculum and other large, gateway STEM courses—together to explore and implement inclusive teaching practices.
This project, the Inclusive Caltech Core (IC2), builds on past discussions among faculty teaching in the Core, as well as annual gatherings of faculty who serve as freshman academic advisors. With the support of AAU, Caltech will be able to bring in guest speakers for an expanded set of workshops and discussions each September, involving Core faculty, Core TAs, and freshman advisors. Throughout the academic years following these IC2 retreats, faculty and advisors will stay connected as they implement and assess the effectiveness of new practices, as well as receive ongoing support from the Center for Teaching, Learning, & Outreach, Caltech Center for Diversity, and Undergraduate Dean's Office.
Cindy Weinstein, Vice Provost and Chief Diversity Officer, explains: "This AAU mini-grant will enable Caltech to build on efforts to improve the students' experience of the core curriculum. Focused workshops on teaching, learning, and advising will provide those teaching in the core with an opportunity to share best practices that help create a community where all students can thrive."
More information about the IC2 project will be added as it develops.
- Sarah Reisman, Executive Officer of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering; Professor of Chemistry.
- Kevin Gilmartin, Dean of Undergraduate Students, Professor of English.
- Mitchio Okumura, Chair of the Core Curriculum Steering Committee; Professor of Chemical Physics.
- (On sabbatical 2018-2019) Cindy Weinstein, Vice Provost & Chief Diversity Officer; Eli and Edythe Broad Professor of English.
- Center for Teaching, Learning, & Outreach:
- Cassandra Horii, Ph.D., Director. email@example.com
- Jenn Weaver, Ph.D., Associate Director for University Teaching. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Caltech Center for Diversity:
- Hanna Song, Ph.D., Senior Director for Diversity. email@example.com
- Undergraduate Dean's Office:
- Lesley Nye, Ed.D., Associate Dean of Undergraduate Students. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Departmental Administration:
- Meagan Heirwegh, Math and Physics Undergraduate Administrator. email@example.com