Annual Teaching Conference
We look forward to your participation in the 2020 Teaching Conference on
Wednesday, September 23rd, 20 The Teaching Conference is a required component of Graduate
Orientation and trains you to be a TA at
Caltech. It is also a valuable professional development activity whether you
will formally teach at Caltech or not, as it addresses aspects of professional
teaching, mentoring, and communication that are more broadly applicable. All incoming
graduate students should plan to participate in the Teaching Conference. This conference is held annually - please find plentiful resources and information from previous Teaching Conferences here.
The 2020 Teaching Conference has three components:
1) Complete the online module about Caltech's teaching policies.
a) Using Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer, with pop-ups enabled, log-in using your Caltech credentials here. (The MyLearn application is also available via access.caltech.edu, under the "Self Service" heading).
b) From the MyLearn homepage, enter part of the course name (e.g., "teaching") in the search box in the upper right hand corner of the window.
c) Click on the "Launch Course" button next to the course name (which is Caltech Policies for Teaching Assistants). Note: instructions with screenshots can be found here.
2) Watch these videos before the Teaching Conference
- Inclusive Classrooms (Video, PDF of Slides, Video Transcript)
- Effective Recitations (Video, PDF of Slides, Video Transcript)
- Leading Successful (and Popular!)
Office Hours (Video, PDF of Slides, Video Transcript)
- Fair Grading and Effective Feedback (Video, PDF of Slides, Video Transcript, Bonus Handout)
- Life as a (Remote and/or In-Person!) Lab TA (Video, PDF of Slides, Video Transcript)
- Engaging Students via Active
Learning (Video, PDF of Slides, Video Transcript)
- Classroom Communication for
International TAs and Others (Video, PDF of Slides, Video Transcript)
3) Attend the Teaching Conference live on September 23rd, 10am PDT
10am - Welcome from the Center for Teaching, Learning and Outreach (CTLO) and Caltech Project for Effective Teaching (CPET) and Panel Discussion with Professor David Hsieh, and Graduate Teaching Assistants Caitlin Lacker and Marcus Lee
11am - Small Group Discussions with Upper Year Graduate Students and Teaching Assistants
6pm - Only for those in time zones not amenable to attending the morning PDT sessions, please complete this form to request to participate at 6pm PDT on Wednesday, September 23rd
- Note: Zoom links for access will be shared with you via email
Resources for Teaching Assistants:
Remote Teaching at Caltech: resources, guides to technology and tools, many more videos!
Remote Learning at Caltech: resources, guides to technology and tools
TA Handbook: an official guide.